Senior Business Development Manager - Norfolk, VA
The Senior Business Development Manager will coordinate major projects, provide technical assistance and consulting services, manage projects, work with local stakeholders, and conduct applied research in the area of community and economic development in conjunction with professional staff. This position will assist the Director of Development and staff with managing projects.
The Norfolk Department of Economic Development's mission is to generate wealth for the City of Norfolk through business expansion, enhancement, and new business development complementary to our neighborhoods.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Manages economic development projects and property land use, including real estate and land development and real estate agreements.
- Assists in the redevelopment of business and real estate by exploring opportunities, marketing, and participating in negotiations to implement new initiatives.
- Serves as a business consultant by establishing and serving on committees, providing information, establishing a retention program, and providing assistance to businesses as needed.
- Generates revenue growth by identifying growth opportunities for existing businesses, and researching and actively recruiting qualified companies with plans for expansion.
- Maintains current business relationships by serving as a business development manager to provide expertise in a particular area, resolving problems, and forming long-lasting professional relationships.
- Works directly with developers, site selectors, real estate investors, existing and new businesses, and corporate real estate professionals to increase and diversify the tax and job base of the City.
- Compiles and analyzes publicly available economic, demographic, industry, and occupational data.
- Conducts industry cluster and economic impact analyses and other research using common economics-based statistical techniques.
Four years' experience in attracting and retaining businesses; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The preferred candidate will possess:
- A Master's Degree with a background in real estate development, engineering, or architecture.
- Familiarity and experience with, but not limited to, Port Authorities, Special Districts, Regional Economic Development Districts, tax abatement/credit programs, grant programs, and other tools available to support economic development efforts in the City of Norfolk.
- The ability to be a flexible team player.
- Prior experience as an economic development practitioner in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Additional Information & Requirements
- Valid Driver's License
Work Location: Dominion Tower, 999 Waterside Drive, Suite 2430, Norfolk, Virginia 23510
Work Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, 40 hours per week
For more information and to apply, click the button below: