Greater Williamsburg Partnership, VA - Director
Greater Williamsburg Partnership of the Greater Williamsburg Chamber and Tourism Alliance Business Council
The Greater Williamsburg Partnership (GWP) is a non-profit, private-public partnership dedicated to improving the overall economic vitality of the Greater Williamsburg area. The mission of the GWP is to promote the GWP region, to foster job creation, to facilitate new investment, to diversify the local economy, and to nurture and improve the quality of life.
The Greater Williamsburg Partnership is seeking a visionary leader for the position of Director. The Director will be accountable for both the day to day operations and the long-term success of the Greater Williamsburg Partnership. The Director will report the CEO of the Business Council of the Greater Williamsburg Chamber and Tourism Alliance and will conduct activities necessary to effectively carry out the goals set forth by the CEO. This individual will serve as the primary spokesperson for the organization and is responsible for marketing and business attraction in an effort to generate new business investment and job creation in the GWP area as well as encourage and foster the spirit of entrepreneurship in the region. The prospective candidate must be able to lead and partner with local, regional and state organizations and private sector allies in the business of lead generation and prospect development. The Director will be responsible for recruiting and motivating public partners to personally and financially support an aggressive regional Economic Development program, analyzing and interpreting the needs of partners and recommending revisions in the program of work to ensure all partners find value in the program. The Director will personally call on major investors in the partnership to determine their needs and determine ways to increase their engagement.
This position will prepare the annual budgets in partnership with the Greater Williamsburg Chamber and Tourism Alliance Business Council CEO.
- Build and develop a strong public/private regional organization to lead the region’s economic development efforts.
- Develop marketing plans that result in the generation of business leads for the GWP
- Assist with the recruitment of prospects to the jurisdictions, especially those within its targeted sectors.
- Build strong relationships with entrepreneurs, site selection consultants, real estate brokers, developers, utility companies, educational assets, Virginia Economic Development Partnership, and regional partner organizations to market the Greater Williamsburg
- Organize and participate in marketing trips to prospective companies and site
- Perform research on prospective business clients and update community/website
- Respond to inquiries, ensuring timeliness, effectiveness, and accuracy of information
- Ensure impactful methods of communication are maintained for GWP and Launchpad such as:
- Website maintenance
- Social media posts
- Development of print publications.
- Develop and maintains a client database, prepare periodic reports, and maintain records of projects, progress, and the status ensuring continuous response and follow-up.
- Evaluate and pursue potential funding sources through program revenue, grants, sponsorships for the GWP.
Skills and Abilities:
- Possess strategic planning and project management skills along with a solid understanding of factors affecting business location decisions including site development, workforce development, incentives, permits and
- Ability to build strong relationships with city, county, state, military, education, industry and business leaders
- Capability to work in a fast-paced and competitive
- Proficiency to successfully develop and implement organizational strategic plans and manage financial budgets
- Possess solid leadership skills and the ability to organize, influence and work cooperatively with business, community, and government
- Strong media relations and presentation skills
- Ability to establish and execute clear goals and effectively communicate the vision and mission of the GWP
Desired Experience, Training, and Education:
- Minimum of 6 to 10 years of experience in a management level position in the field of economic development, business development, and/or workforce development in public sector, higher education, and/ or non-profit environment. Certified Economic Developer
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college in a related area such as economics, planning, business or public administration; Master’s Degree and/or a graduate of the Economic Development Institute (EDI)
- Experience leading a board and working with
- General understanding of legislative affairs
- Proficient in computer operations for general business purposes including PowerPoint Excel, and similar
- The respective candidate should reside within the GWP boundary or a neighboring locality within six (6) months of acceptance of the
Innovative • Self-starter • Entrepreneurially minded • Strong work ethic • Integrity • Creative • Executive Presence • Approachable • Dealmaker and deal closer • Politically savvy Inspirational • Passionate • Collaborative • Ethical • Friendly • Trustworthy • Success-driven
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com by August 15, 2019. The Greater Williamsburg Partnership, Inc. is an EEO/AA (Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action) Employer.