Economic Development Director - Oconee County, SC
Job Title: Economic Development Director
Position Number: 010-707-10110-05802
Immediate Supervisor: Administrator Salary Range/Grade/Class:
FLSA Status: Exempt
Employment Status: Full-time
Direct Reports: 4 Full-time; 0 Part-time
This position (the “Director”) directs economic development initiatives in order to achieve the goals and objectives of the County; provides management and leadership in the creation and implementation of economic development strategies, plans, programs and services; works closely with county administrators, and various councils and committees. Additionally, the Director provides related professional, administrative, and supervisory assistance as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Provide direct assistance to the County Administrator and County Council on a regular
- Recruit local industrial representatives to create new jobs and invest additional
- Recruit new industry and businesses to the
- Create short and long range economic development
- Develop and maintain inventories of available buildings and sites.
- Market the County's buildings and
- Maintain information on the region, and respond to requests for information on the
- Develop and administer departmental
- Review staff work and Carry out the duties, functions, and purposes of the Oconee Economic Alliance, the economic development affiliate of the County.
- Supervise departmental staff.
- Seek grants and other funds to assist in bringing new businesses to the
- Represent the County at numerous economic development conferences and
- Provide staff training and development
- Perform cost benefit analysis on projects.
Essential Job Duties are intended to be examples of duties and are not intended to be all inclusive. There will be other duties as assigned.
Additional duties include:
Work on special projects to ensure the future workforce will have the required skills. Serve on numerous boards and foundations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Economic Development skills (completion of basic and advanced training).
- Ability to market the "product" to all levels of prospects.
- Knowledge and understanding of the politics of the region and the state.
- Basic computer skills.
- Flexible and ability to make decisions quickly.
- Good managerial skills;
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The educational requirement for this position is: Completion of Master's degree in relevant field. Education may be substituted for experience.
Related-experience required: 5 years. Experience may be substituted for education.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS:
Certifications, licenses, professional designations, or other qualifications will be required for this position within one year of hire include:
- South Carolina Certified Economic Developer, or equivalent
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The physical activities required for this position involve:
Standing: up to 2/3 of the time; walking: up to 2/3 of the time; sitting: up to 2/3 of the time; using hands: none of the time; reaching with hands and arms: under 1/3 of the time; climbing or balancing: none of the time; stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling: under 1/3 of the time; talking or hearing: up to 2/3 of the time; and, tasting or smelling: none of the time.
This position requires lifting:
Up to 10 pounds: under 1/3 of the time; up to 25 pounds: under 1/3 of the time; up to 50 pounds: none of the time; up to 100 pounds: none of the time; and, more than 100 pounds: none of the time.
This position has the following special vision requirements:
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
- Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more)
- Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up or down and to the left and right when vision is fixed on a given point)
- Depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships)
- Ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus)
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
The following physical conditions and hazards may be encountered while working in this position:
- Indoor environment
- Outdoor environment
- Extreme temperatures
- Moisture and/or humidity
- Moving mechanical parts