Senior Economic Developer: Commercial - Raleigh, NC
ElectriCities of North Carolina, Inc.
Member Services Division
Economic Development Department
Senior Economic Developer – Commercial
Job Level: Senior
Our Purpose: Serving the needs of public power communities through collective strength, wisdom and action while promoting a more successful future for our citizens.
Our Definition of Excellence: Excellence is the demonstration of a professional attitude and commitment to providing accurate, timely services or products that exceed the customers’ needs.
Core Values: Customer Service, Communication, Teamwork and Training.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain a list of real estate brokers, consultants, and real estate development firms in support of ongoing marketing, communications and relationship building for public power members.
- Assist in the selection of companies, development of materials and coordination for direct mail and digital marketing projects and recruitment programs to include trade shows and events outlined in the ED Business Plan as related to commercial development. Follow up with clients in a timely and relevant manner and maintain records on prospects in an approved database, currently ACT.
- Work with the Chambers of Commerce and/or Economic Development Commissions in our member communities in the recruitment of retail, downtown and other commercial development.
- Maximize marketing efforts by concentrating on retailers, restaurants, hotels, shopping centers, specialty shops, big box retailers, etc. that can successfully operate in our member communities.
- Effectively position member communities for commercial investment.
- Develop key strategic partnerships and account-specific strategies using demographic analyses and site analyses through a variety of software platforms.
- Support the senior leadership team with forward-looking assessments for other commercial growth opportunities.
- Maintain accountability for and work within approved budget and work plan objectives.
- Assist with management of economic development grants and programs.
- Foster an environment of teamwork in order to effectively coordinate with other ElectriCities departments and personnel in the development of programs and services for ElectriCities’ members.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
The Senior Economic Developer – Commercial works under the direct supervision of the Manager, Economic and Community Development. The Manager, Economic and Community Development also reviews the incumbent’s performance in terms of overall effectiveness and provides professional and administrative direction as needed. The Manager, Economic and Community Development approves all requests for vacation and other time off. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards act.
The Senior Economic Developer – Commercial must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting such as operating a personal computer, keyboard, and other peripheral equipment. Frequent travel is required to other NC office locations or other NC locations for business development purposes. Travel may also be required for training and development purposes.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Business, Marketing, or Economics.
- A minimum of three to five years of related economic development and/or business experience.
- Familiarity with retail, downtown and commercial development activities.
- Flexibility to accommodate short, client-imposed deadlines, which may require efforts outside of normal business hours.
- Thorough familiarity with personal computers and relational databases, word processing and graphics, and communications software.
- Familiarity with using on-line databases and conventional references.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to travel approximately 70% outside the office and have the ability to work with the staff of member municipalities and local and state development organizations.
- Self-motivation and have the ability to begin and complete projects without supervision.