President & CEO - Christian County, MO
President & CEO Job Profile
Opportunity to Lead
Show Me Christian County (SMCC) is seeking an engaging President and CEO who will catalyze and lead regional economic development strategies and initiatives across all municipalities within Christian County, one of Missouri’s fastest growing. This leader must have the ability to pivot from strategic to tactical operations. This executive is expected to cast the vision and also implement the action steps to accomplish the organization’s goals and objectives. The President & CEO will leverage the area’s unique assets for sustained economic success through strong working relationships and engagement with key partners. SMCC’s vision is that Christian County will become a destination for high-quality talent and innovative employers in this Southwest Missouri region.
Mission focused: Show Me Christian County is the collaborative partnership serving as a business concierge, advancing economic health through an intentional and balanced approach to growth. The Pres/CEO will be expected to strengthen the established foundation and elevate the economic development ecosystem.
This is a full-time exempt position that will require the need to sometimes work beyond what is considered a normal day/week. This position sometimes requires weekend and “after hours” work to successfully implement the Five-Year Strategic Action Plan and other programs. This position requires some travel (local, state and out of state travel). This job will also include other duties as assigned from time to time.
Partnerships and Collaboration
The Pres/CEO will lead economic development initiatives for all the communities within Christian County through strong relationship building, proactive collaboration, coordination, and dynamic engagement with all levels of stakeholders and contributors to the community’s economic development.
About Show Me Christian County
As the economic development organization for the Nixa, Ozark, and surrounding areas, Show Me Christian County works to advance economic health throughout the County by focusing on four key areas: Business Attraction, Business Retention & Expansion, Entrepreneurship, and Workforce Development. At Show Me Christian County, we are much more than a resource for businesses; rather, we are a partnership, dedicated to the continued and lasting development of one of the fastest growing counties in Missouri. Christian County has a population of 91,000 with a growth rate of 14.8% over the last decade. We are the voice of growth and opportunity for every business, employee, family, and resident of Christian County.
How to Apply
Interested, qualified individuals should reply with a complete resume along with compensation/benefits history to:
Jim Fram, CEcD, CCE, FM
Community Growth Strategies, LLC
6400 Shallow River Drive
Columbia, MO 65201
President & CEO Job Description
Title: President & CEO
Job Classification: Exempt, Full-time
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday; frequent evening and weekend hours. Ability to travel is required.
Reporting Relationship: The President & CEO reports to the Board of Directors of the Christian County Development Corporation dba Show Me Christian County.
Primary Accountability: The President & CEO serves as chief executive officer of the Christian County Development Corporation dba Show Me Christian County. He/she also serves as an ex-officio member of the Executive Committee. Employment, tenure, benefits, and compensation are subject to an employment agreement requiring the approval of the Board of Directors.
- Develops strategic and tactical plans to successfully implement the SMCC’s core mission
- Is actively involved in pursuing site and infrastructure development – convening partners and seeking opportunities for investment.
- Develops strategic plans and policies to assure adequate funding of the SMCC’s programs and operations.
- Executes policies and goals set forth by the Board of Directors and recommends policies to the Board for fulfillment of the mission of the SMCC.
- Takes a leadership role in working with the cities in Christian County on their comprehensive plans.
- Collaborates with community leaders, interested parties and takes a leadership role in economic development projects.
- Working with community leaders, takes the lead in designing, creating, and implementing public/private partnerships to facilitate major economic development projects.
- Oversees a community relations program, which assures commitment to, or acceptance of, the SMCC goals and objectives.
- Serves as the primary spokesperson on policy matters for the SMCC.
- Enacts administrative and financial policies and controls, which assure sound fiscal and operational management of the SMCC.
- Recommends appointments of chairpersons of all board committees, task forces, and councils, as well as potential members of the board.
- With advice and counsel of the Chair, develops agendas for all executive committee, Board of Directors, and nominating committee meetings.
- Leads and motivates the staff of SMCC.
- Interviews, hires, and trains new employees.
- Plans, assigns, and directs work of the staff.
- Establishes job standards and appraises performance of the staff.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
The President & CEO must maintain his/her primary residence in Christian County upon employment and throughout his/her tenure.
No Dual Role:
The President & CEO will be expected to maintain this position as their only employment during their tenure with this organization.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required; degree in marketing, business, or a related discipline preferred.
- Five years’ experience in economic development, chamber of commerce management, job and investment attraction, or substantial experience within business and industry or as a marketing/management professional.
- A combination of education and proven Economic Development experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Certification as an economic development professional (CEcD) from the International Economic Development Council is highly preferred. Acquisition of other such certifications may be required during employment.
- Proficient knowledge in business planning and promotion, market analysis, relevant municipal legislation, and financial management.
- Strong, effective sales background with proven results.
- Relationship building skills and the ability to navigate and understand the complexities of working with local and state elected/appointed officials to get results are a must.
- Demonstrates skills and experience in vision casting for available sites and/or buildings to market to investors.
- Understand the changing dynamics of business and what is required to attract businesses to a community in such an environment.
- Ability to gather large amounts of data, analyze, evaluate, and disseminate in a succinct and effective manner. Demonstrated reporting, data analysis and research skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; the ability to build and sustain relationships with targeted industry executives, site selectors, and industrial real estate professionals as well as local, state, and federal political groups and office holders.
- Ability to present accurate work with a strong attention to detail in a high pressure, fast-paced environment while being held accountable for overall results.
- Creative and strategic-thinking abilities.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to coordinate multiple projects.
- Professional attitude and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and various databases essential to analyze targets.
- Regional, national, and international travel may be required, including overnight travel; a valid Missouri driver’s license is required, and a valid passport is strongly recommended.
Environmental and Physical Requirements:
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to read computer screens and mail.
- Ability and knowledge to use a cell phone, conference calling features and other uses.
- Ability to unpack and move supplies up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends and attend events and meetings as required.
- Ability to successfully maintain a professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting.