Mississippi Economic Development Council - Executive Director
MISSISSIPPI ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL
Title: Executive Director
Employment Status: Full-time, Salary
Responsible to: President and the Executive Committee
Summary: The Executive Director serves as the chief executive officer for the organization with the general direction of the President; supports and complements the volunteer efforts of MEDC members to achieve the MEDC mission of providing a networking forum and professional development opportunities for economic developers and chamber of commerce professionals.
- Oversee the association’s operations, communications, events, programs and finances
- Develop and implement the association’s program of work, approved by the Board of Directors
- Manage the personnel matters of the association and its employees, with Executive Committee concurrence;
- Serve as the association’s chief sales person in growing its membership and sponsorships goals
- Coordinate correspondence to MEDC membership and external stakeholders including website content and social media outreach;
- Negotiate contracts and oversight for independent contractors such as but not limited to auditor, IT support, insurance conference planners and other professional services;
- Implement winter and summer conference, with conference chairman, including budget, programming, sponsorships, marketing, engaging speakers, negotiating contracts, and arranging logistics;
- Establish professional development seminars, workshops and training for economic development and chamber of commerce professionals;
- Collaborate with Mississippi Development Authority and other partners as approved by the executive committee on needed support, legislative advocacy, and education on economic and community development matters;
- Oversee MEDC Scholarship fund including fundraising, promotion and processing scholarship reimbursements;
- Represent MEDC at other conferences, events, programs and meetings
Financial (MEDC utilizes Quick books):
- Establish MEDC yearly budget
- Develop non-dues revenue strategy
- Process accounts receivables and payables
- Reconcile bank statements monthly (4 accounts)
- Coordinate with accountant to file and perform, payroll reports, tax reports, and annual audit
Board of Directors (4 board meetings at year):
- Prepare notices, agenda, minutes, financial reports and supporting documentation for board meetings and planning retreats
- Manage staff support for Executive, Board, other committees, and work groups
- Organize annual board of directors’ orientation
Conferences and seminars, workshops or training:
- Coordinate with respective board chair to develop programming
- Develop budget for each event that aligns with the MEDC operating budget
- Negotiate contracts for venues, entertainment, transportation, staffing, speakers, food and beverage
- Create and implement marketing and promotional materials
- Sell event sponsorships
- Provide support for speakers and other event special guests
- Ensure necessary insurance for each event is in place
- Oversee all other conference planning and execution
- Work with Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) and external stakeholders on public policy development
- Coordinate and oversee working groups concerning legislative agenda
- Communicate and coordinate legislative events, strategy and updates to and for membership
Experience, Degrees, Licenses, Certificates, and Registrations
This is a professional position and over three (3) years related work experience is strongly preferred. A four-year degree from an accredited college or university in a related field is required. Candidate must be proficient in basic math (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, and percentages) and must understand basic accounting including interest rates, budgets, balancing checkbooks. Candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and must be skilled In writing and speaking In a professional, articulate, and grammatically correct manner. Professional appearance and demeanor is required. A valid Mississippi driver’s license and reliable transportation is required
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Stress level of this job may be high at times since the Executive Director and staff are frequently required to multi‐task, under strict deadlines, and reliant upon help that is often comprised of volunteers. The position is highly visible in the community that may also increase the level of stress.
The noise level in the office is typically low to moderate. The lighting levels are typical of an office environment. Much of the Executive Director’s work will be outside the office and will require travel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use and dexterity of the hands to handle, or feel; walk; stand for periods greater than one hour; periodically lift boxes and other supplies in up to 30 lbs. from floor to over head several times in a day; speak; hear; see (specific vision requirements are distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust and focus).
MEDC is an equal employment opportunity employer and endeavors to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified applicants with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of MEDC’s
business. If an applicant believes he or she requires such assistance to complete the application or to participate in an interview, he or she should contact Mitch Stringer. If an applicant has any questions or concerns, he or she should reach out to Mitch Stringer at (601).720.1748 or at email@example.com