Manager, Economic Development - Maury County Chamber , TN
Job Title: Manager, Economic Development
Department: Economic Development
Reports To: Vice President, Economic Development
The Maury County Chamber and Economic Alliance was created in 1999 to serve as the Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development organization for Maury County, Tennessee. Maury County, with a population of approximately 94,000, includes the cities of Columbia, Spring Hill and Mount Pleasant.
The Maury Alliance serves local businesses by connecting members to improve business opportunities, advocating on behalf of its members as well as providing members cost savings and education. The Alliance also provides comprehensive economic development services for Maury County including existing industry expansion/retention as well as new industry recruitment.
The organization’s Chamber membership currently stands over 450, with a professional staff of seven. For more information, go to www.mauryalliance.com.
The new Manager of Economic Development will be responsible for assisting the Vice President and President in the creation and execution of an economic development strategy for Maury County. This strategy includes:
- new business recruitment
- existing business expansion/retention
- product development
- workforce development
The successful applicant will be organized, creative, and trustworthy. They must successfully demonstrate the ability to be a self-starting problem solver with strong judgement and a proven ability to deliver quality product and outcomes under the pressure of deadlines. Strong attention to detail while simultaneously quickly separating critical from trivial is of importance. A willingness to take on additional tasks and responsibilities, and the ability to work well with a variety of stakeholders and partners is critical. Flexibility is also important as day-to-day tasks can vary greatly. With a diverse mission and small team to accomplish it; character, drive, willingness to learn, and fit with the organization are key.
- Serve as an economic development point of contact for Maury County and ensure appropriate individuals are included in the various aspects of prospect recruitment and development.
- Respond quickly and thoroughly to assigned prospect inquiries related to business climate, land and building availability, cost of living, tax structure, workforce, incentives, etc.
- Maintain and improve the Alliance economic development website, local TVA Sites records, and CRM database, furthering its position as the source for current, accurate, and appropriate information for site selectors, investors, and other stakeholder inquiries.
- Create attractive, accurate, and well messaged presentations, reports, and marketing materials.
- Work with property owners, developers, and realtors to gather information on appropriate available properties and “shovel-ready” sites.
- Assist with all site development efforts, especially with the gathering of accurate information and the completion of SelectTN Site Certification documentation.
- Ensure that accurate, up-to-date economic, community and real estate information, for use in marketing programs and requests for proposals, is maintained.
- Coordinate all details related to site visits with potential prospects.
- Maintain up-to-date economic development files and records.
- Find, monitor, and update key economic indicators while developing this information into value-add reports for various stakeholders. Undertake training as needed to learn how to maximize available research tools.
- Represent the Alliance regionally at civic and community events and attend professional conventions, meetings and events as necessary.
- Assist with existing industry support efforts including annual visits with companies, event creation and coordination, and surveys.
- Assist with grant writing and grant management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Personal integrity
- Professional presence and public speaking ability
- Positive attitude and excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of PC and/or Apple functions and Microsoft Office Applications
- Strong sales and marketing skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Detailed oriented
- Willingness to problem solve with limited subject matter expertise
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to deal with ambiguity
- Ability to work with little supervision
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally
Education and Experience Preferred:
- 1-3 years of economic development experience preferred
- Strong eye for graphic design with demonstrated ability to create high quality presentations and marketing materials preferred
- Experience with Salesforce preferred
- Experience with HQ and/or Medical Device recruitment projects preferred
- Bachelor’s or Advanced degree in business, marketing, or ED related field preferred
- Experience in managing volunteers and building consensus with diverse constituencies preferred.
Maury Alliance is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, sexual identity, disability or veteran status.
Compensation and benefits:
Compensation and benefits are competitive with market value and commensurate with experience.
Position Application Deadline: Application deadline of July 26th, 2019.
Please submit cover letter and resume (email preferred) to:
Travis Groth, Vice President, Economic Development
Maury County Chamber and Economic Alliance
PO Box 1076
Columbia, TN 38401
All submissions will be treated confidentially.
This is intended to be a description of the general nature and level of work to be performed. This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in this position.