Executive Director – Pearl River County Economic Development District, MS
Executive Director – Pearl River County Economic Development District
We are looking for an experienced Executive Director for the Pearl River County Economic Development District. The Executive Director will generate prospect activity for Pearl River County and help stimulate economic growth within the County in this capacity.
The Executive Director will answer to a 5-person Board of Directors which meets monthly. The Board of Directors is comprised of both public sector and private sector leaders. The Executive Director’s office will be located at Pearl River Community College, this location will allow for the Executive Director to have administrative support and necessary in-kind services (such as the use of copying machine, phones, computers, etc.).
The ideal candidate must have a proven track record of being able to close business deals. They must be a self- starter and possess a talent for getting deals over the finish line. The Executive Director will be a team player and build relationships with economic development stakeholders such as community leaders, partners, and local businesses.
The ideal candidate will be an individual capable of building an organization from the ground up. With the Pearl River County Economic Development District in the process of completing its incorporation, the Executive Director will have the opportunity to shape this organization as they and the Board sees fit for the benefit of the County. The Executive Director will be responsible for building a program consisting of marketing materials, incentive tools, lead generation support, industrial property development, workforce data, etc. which is used as an inventory by which to generate prospects and create jobs.
The Executive Director needs to be able to communicate with the Board and necessary entities on the progress of the program they are building. The ideal candidate will have tangible results recruiting and retaining industries over a minimum of five years’ experience. Preferably the ideal candidate will have spent some of these five years of experience having success in a rural setting.
Preferred Training, Experience, and Abilities
- Five (5) years of proven work experience in a public environment related to economic development and or sales/marketing. Preference may be given to candidates possessing added skills and previous experience recruiting and retaining industries in a rural setting
- Baccalaureate degree in education, business, economic development, or marketing preferred.
- Skills in both written and oral communications
- Technical and communication skills to perform the duties of this position are required
- Excellent project and task orientation capabilities
- Data collection and analysis
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and make independent decision when necessary and in accordance with policies and procedures
- Ability to travel if necessary for the position
Examples of Essential Functions
- Building an economic development program with a solid foundation
- Inventorying of publicly and privately- owned industrial property within the County and marketing them to generate prospect activity
- Organizational involvement to create partnerships for the County and generate leads
- Develop and maintain good working relationship with regional and state-wide partners
- Create and maintain comprehensive project files for all industrial projects
- Business development and attraction activities
- Perform additional related duties and responsibilities as required
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: Commensurate with experience and abilities
Benefits:Competitive package will be offered
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline is desired
- Minimum 5-years of experience as an Economic Developer or position in outside sales, preferably in a rural setting
- Master’s degree or certificate in economic development can compensate for some of the years of experience.
Estimated Time Spent on Areas of Responsibility
- 40% - New Business Recruitment
- 40% - Existing Industry Efforts
- 20% - Administrative Duties
References and Background Checks
As part of the application please include references from the following pools of people:
- Those who have managed you
- Those you have managed
- Development/industry clients
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume, and references to Dr. Scott Alsobrooks, Chairman of the Pearl River County Economic Development District at email@example.com, or mail to Dr. Scott Alsobrooks, 101 Hwy. 11 North, Poplarville, MS 39470. Feel free to call the office of Dr. Alsobrooks at 601.403.1241 with any questions.
All materials should be received no later than October 15, 2018