Executive Director - Industrial Board of Coffee County, Tennessee
The Industrial Board of Coffee County, Tennessee Is Seeking a New Executive Director.
Coffee County, TN is located in South Central Tennessee and is within a day’s drive of 70 percent of the U.S. population. The county's strategic location along Interstate I-24 offers convenient access to many major U.S. markets. Coffee County is the twenty-sixth largest county in Tennessee with over 55,000 residents. The community is home to the United States Air Force’s Arnold Engineering Development Complex – The Nation’s premier Aerospace Ground Test Facility. Additionally, over 10 aerospace and defense related companies are located within the County. The County’s leading industrial companies include over 20 companies with over 100 employees, many with national and international recognition.
Education is a strong focus area for the community and Coffee County’s educational system contains two highly rated high schools with excellent reputations for both college preparation and Career Technical Education (CTE). Additionally, post secondary educational opportunities are available locally through the Tennessee College of Applied Technology (TCAT) and at Motlow State Community College, recognized as Tennessee’s premiere community college, located in adjacent Moore County. Coffee County is part of a region known for its exceptional healthcare system. With two major hospitals, a day surgery center and several long-term care facilities, the County has over 110 physicians – more than twice the national average on a per capita basis. Among the nation’s lowest cost-of-living areas with no state income tax and no personal property tax, Coffee County offers an abundance of quality of life benefits for those seeking to relocate. From its breathtaking natural beauty and comfortable pace of life to its variety of cultural, recreational, and entertainment options, Coffee County has a profusion of riches. Additional information on Coffee County is available at www.coffeecountytn.org
The Industrial Board of Coffee County is the Tennessee State Chartered Industrial Development Board for Coffee County, TN and its incorporated Cities of Manchester and Tullahoma. The organization is governed by a nine-member board of directors representing leadership from local businesses/industries, educational institutions, agriculture, and community groups.
The Board oversees the development of five (5) industrial parks with a combined 700± acres available for future development.
Position Description and Qualifications
The Executive Director is the chief executive officer of the organization who reports to the Board of Directors and supervises a staff of two (2) professionals. Ideal candidates should have a proven track record of success, and demonstrate experience and knowledge, in the following areas:
- Performing responsible financial management of an equivalent organization including preparing annual budgets, setting priorities, anticipating problems, formulating and adjusting policies, and revising plans as needed.
- Understanding of federal, state, and local economic incentives and have the ability to build and sustain strong and healthy partnerships with economic development partner organizations including federal, state, and regional organizations, utilities, education and training entities, etc.
- Interacting with city and county government boards and committees to achieve economic development initiatives.
- Experience in the site location process, including participation in recruiting activities, responding to proposals, and working with industrial prospects or their consultants.
- Knowledge of real estate development and construction practices.
- Developing and implementing strategies and priorities for growth and development of the community.
- Identifying target industries and companies and seeking to recruit industries to locate in area.
- Developing or overseeing the development of effective marketing and promotional materials, including website, social media, etc.
- Maintaining relationships with existing industries and helping to retain and expand firms.
- Developing and implementing long range planning for the organization.
- Being a visible personality to the local media and broader community, and being a liaison with the community regarding economic development activities (i.e., civic clubs, community groups, schools, etc.).
- Maintaining strong familiarity with infrastructure capacity in the community.
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology to develop proposals/presentations, generate correspondence and create spreadsheets using Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Maintaining communications with the Board of Directors including progress reporting and timely sharing of the information necessary for the Board to properly oversee the organization.
Candidates should possess and demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Strong interpersonal skills, including verbal, written, listening, and effective presentation skills.
- Highly motivated and able to inspire and persuade others.
- Engaged, proactive, energetic, creative, visionary, and innovative.
- High level of integrity.
Desired Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, marketing, planning, finance, or other relevant field of study.
- 5-10 years of progressive business and/or economic development experience.
- Training in economic development including recognition as Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) or equivalent
- Membership in appropriate economic development professional associations.
Salary range from $60,000 to $100,000 annually, depending on qualifications and experience. Benefit package includes paid vacation, retirement, health insurance, auto allowance, and relocation assistance.
Candidate selected is expected to reside within Coffee County, TN within six months of hire date.
Application and Selection Process
- Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume (highlighting desired qualifications listed above and including a list of significant professional accomplishments), and five work related references. References will not be contacted until mutual interest has been established and candidate confidentiality will be respected during initial selection phase of the process. Candidates selected for interview will be announced publicly.
- The job posting will remain active until the position is filled.
- Evaluation of resumes is expected to begin the week of October 18, 2021. Interviews for selected finalist will be scheduled as soon as practicable.
- Resumes may be emailed to IDBresume@coffeetn.com or mailed to:
Industrial Board of Coffee County
Attn: IDB Resume
1329 McArthur St. Suite 4
Manchester, TN 37355