Executive Director - Delta Strong, MS
Delta Council is an area economic development organization representing the nineteen Delta and part-Delta counties of Northwest Mississippi. Started in 1935 by a group of far-sighted citizens, they provide a medium through which the agricultural, business and professional leadership of the area could work together. Delta Council now pioneers the effort to solve common problems and promote the development of the economy in the Mississippi Delta.
Delta Strong is a regional branding, marketing, and business attraction program aimed exclusively toward attracting new manufacturing opportunities to the Mississippi Delta. The initiative is supported by private-sector financial institutions, Planning and Development Districts, Port Terminals on the Mississippi River, local Economic Development Foundations, and their Utility and Infrastructure partners. This strategy, led by the Delta Council Development Department, is a four-year plan which includes outcome measurements and transparency that positions the Mississippi Delta region as a major player in the attraction of manufacturing, distribution, and warehousing operations.
For more information about the community and Delta Council visit. https://www.deltastrong.ms/
An energetic, respected professional to grow the economy and recruit manufacturing companies to the area from external markets. This area has multiple buildings and sites which are ready for industry. The intent is to recruit small manufacturers to join the more than 30 companies with more than $1 billion in annual revenue that have significant operations in the Delta.
The region recently became one of the first regions in the USA to be certified as Work Ready by the ACT. The ongoing implementation of this workforce effort is imperative to be successful.
This position will compose reports, action plans, and proposals for the Delta Council members, clients, and local, state and federal stakeholders, on issues and opportunities, manage the compilation, packaging, and delivery of data, mapping, and other information critical to meet economic development objectives.
This position will report to the CEO of the Delta Council.
- Plan and execute a target market program designed to generate direct leads and project development opportunities for the Delta region.
- Manage economic development projects, including assessment of companies’ needs and development of comprehensive and competitive project proposals.
- Identify and generate business leads in target business sectors.
- Coordinate Delta Strong marketing programs, events, and activities, as well as participation in non-Delta Strong activities that foster strong and active relationships with local and state officials, site selection consultants and economic development allies.
- Represent the Delta region through relevant economic development organizations and through local, state, and national organizations and activities that support the region’s economic growth objectives.
- Develop and manage an economic development budget that recognizes and respects the complexities of Delta Council’s diverse public and private sector funding sources.
- Manage the economic development division staff, including overall direction, assignments, and assessment of projects and individual performance appraisals.
- Maintain communications with staff and regional partners, and acts as a resource for the economic development efforts of all communities invested in Delta Council.
- Prepare long-range and short-range economic development budget to ensure financial accountability and internal controls.
- Monitor and approve all expenditures within the framework of the budget.
- Develop an annual action plan to achieve established goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the CEO of the Delta Council.
- Eight+ years’ experience in economic development, in a true “sales” type role and external prospecting trips that show tangible industries landed due to those efforts.
- An individual with unquestioned integrity and impeccable business and personal ethics.
- A person who will embrace the quality of place and attend a number of community events and meetings throughout the 19-county area to demonstrate support of the local efforts and the regional tie-in.
- Knowledgeable player of financing vehicles for economic development projects, whether private, federal, state, or local programs.
- Outstanding analytic and interpersonal skills with the ability to write, speak, and communicate effectively with diverse audiences, leaving a lasting impression.
- Knowledgeable on a wide array of issues, detail-oriented, and have a bias toward action.
- A roll-up the sleeves, self-starter with vision, high energy, and commitment.
- A resourceful and charismatic leader who is able to take charge and instill confidence.
- A person adept at selling to all levels of management, but especially senior executives.
- An intelligent, mature, and self-confident individual.
- A facilitator, who works with groups, encourages engagement, maintains focus, and derives meaningful outcomes.
- A person who can handle multiple tasks.
- A collaborative leader willing to encourage different viewpoints and take decisive action.
- An exceptional and persuasive oral and written communicator.
- Outstanding analytic and interpersonal skills with the ability to write, speak and communicate effectively with diverse audiences.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university is required; supplemented by a minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience in economic development and in a supervisory/management capacity;
A Master's Degree is preferred.
Professional certification is desirable.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Candidates for this position will be evaluated by Jorgenson Consulting. Only a limited number of the most highly qualified applicants meeting the requirements will be invited to participate in the interview process. For consideration, please submit a letter of interest and résumé to DeltaStrong@jci-inc.net
REFERENCES AND BACKGROUND INFORMATION
There will be an extensive background and reference check of candidates. Once strong mutual interest has been established, candidates are asked to provide a list of references that should include, but not be limited to, a supervisor, a peer, a development client and a subordinate, as applicable. Candidates will be asked to sign an authorization to release information for the purpose of the background investigation, which may include verification of education, credit check, criminal and driving records. Should an offer be extended prior to the completion of these checks, the offer will be made contingent on the successful completion of the reference and background checks.