Director, Business Retention and Workforce Development - Greenville, NC
Established in 2019, the Greenville-Eastern North Carolina Alliance (ENC Alliance) is a newly formed 501c (3) non-profit economic development organization. The mission of the ENC Alliance is to market the region, support new, existing, and start-up businesses, develop community assets, maximize opportunities for investment, and enhance quality of life by engaging the private and public sectors in a collaborative economic development program.
The organization is funded through the support of investors from the private and public sectors. The vision for the ENC Alliance is to achieve a dynamic business climate resulting in stable, quality jobs and opportunities allowing residents to live fulfilling lives in a thriving place.
The ENC Alliance is currently seeking to fill the Director, Business Retention and Workforce Development position.
This is a full-time position. Hours of work will vary and some weekends may be required. The position works primarily out of the ENC Alliance office located in downtown Greenville. This position requires travel within the region, as well as outside the region, the State of North Carolina and possibly the continental United States.
Examples of Typical Work Performed by This Position:
The following duties are typical for this position. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Reporting to the VP of New Business Attraction, this position is responsible for:
- Developing, coordinating and implementing an existing business retention and expansion program to include:
- Leading the development and enhancement of the organization’s processes for prospect tracking, business intake and economic impact and business retention and expansion opportunities;
- Assuming responsibility for project management of the ENC Alliance’s business client expansions and related activities (ex. attending concept reviews, completing incentive analysis and presentations, etc.);
- Responding and providing follow-through to business and developer prospect calls and inquiries by conducting research, coordinating with other partners, creating proposals and making presentations;
- Maintaining effective partnerships with public, academic and private sector partners in representing local business concerns and objectives;
- Recommending policies and procedures regarding business development matters to further improve the business environment;
- Acting as a liaison to and point of contact for the business community including public, private and non-profit groups and associations concerning economic development within the Greenville/Pitt County region;
- Remaining appraised of specific industry cluster projects occurring within the region and appropriately disseminating information regarding the projects;
- Serving as a liaison to employers, key industry associations and education leaders to:
- align local employers’ talent needs with education and training offered through local academic institutions;
- oversee talent recruitment and design and implementation of workforce programs;
- analyze labor market trends and inform a community-wide workforce strategy;
- Representing the ENC Alliance at networking, business and community events, industry conferences leveraging opportunities to market economic benefits of the Greenville and Pitt County region;
- Assisting with marketing activities, marketing collateral materials and website specific to business retention and expansion;
- Pursuing federal, state and other outside funding as appropriate to support business retention and expansion;
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Economic Development, Public Administration, Finance, or similar degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience related to economic development, specifically business retention and expansion.
- Demonstrates success in working with local business leaders, public administrators, elected leadership and the community.
- Administrative experience overseeing economic development activities in the public or private sector, non-profit, higher education or environment.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook) and other publishing software. CRM experience preferred.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), presentation and interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with high-level executives, public administrators, elected officials, staff and board members.
- Proven strategy development, strategy implementation, project management and critical thinking skills.
- A strong leader with high emotional intelligence, with the ability to assert influence throughout the organization.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and able to maintain confidentiality.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized.
Special License(s) or Certification(s) Required: (if applicable)
- Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) certification from the International Economic Development Council (IEDC) preferred.
- Must have and maintain a valid NC driver’s license
Salary is commensurate with experience. Employment is contingent upon passing a physical examination including a drug/alcohol screening and a comprehensive background check. To ensure consideration, a completed Greenville Utilities application must be received in the Human Resources Office. Interested persons can contact the Human Resources Office at (252) 551-1513 if you have any questions. Our office is located on 801 Mumford Road, Greenville, NC.
Online applications only accepted through GUC website at www.careers.guc.com
An Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer
Greenville Utilities Commission participates in E-Verify