Community Development Director - Woodbury, MN
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
Community Development Director, Woodbury, MN (pop. 73,898). Woodbury, incorporated in 1967, is one of the fastest growing cities in Minnesota, and the 8th largest city in the state. Over the past three decades the population has tripled, and is expected to exceed 87,800 by 2040. As the economic hub of the Twin Cities east metro, Woodbury is well known as a healthcare and retail destination with a diverse economy of many growing business sectors, including finance, light industrial, office/showroom and distribution.
Woodbury’s Community Development Director is retiring in early 2020 after 43 years of service to the City. The City seeks a leader in the field of community development prepared to meet the demands of a growing, early redeveloping and dynamic community.
The Community Development Department includes land use planning and zoning, housing, economic development, inspections and code enforcement. Woodbury is a full-service city. In addition to Community Development, services also include Public Safety (Police, Fire, EMS), Public Works, Engineering, Parks and Recreation, Information & Communications Technology, Finance and Administration (HR, legal, clerk). The Community Development Director is responsible for leading a department of about 20 employees, and manages a budget of approximately $3.2 million. The position reports to the City Administrator.
Qualified candidates should have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in public administration, city planning, urban affairs or related field. A Master’s degree in one of those disciplines, or related field, is preferred;
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience in planning, economic development and community development experience;
- Minimum of three years supervisory experience;
- A collaborative and communicative approach to work;
- Comfort working with an array of stakeholders including elected officials, residents and intergovernmental contacts; and a
- Passion for a fast-paced, demanding and rewarding environment.
A starting salary range is $120,000 - $140,000 +/- DOQ, and an excellent benefit package is offered.
Candidates should apply by February 10, 2020 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240. The City of Woodbury is an Equal Opportunity Employer.