Economic Development Specialist - Coordinator III - St. Mary's County, MD
ST. MARY’S COUNTY GOVERNMENT VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
POSITION: Economic Development Specialist - Coordinator III
C08, $54,122 - $56,867 (B.O.E) + FRINGE BENEFITS
DEPARTMENT: Economic Development
OPENING DATE: 08-22-18
CLOSING DATE: 09-26-18
Education: Bachelor’s degree.
Experience: Five years or more of related professional experience in economic development and/or business communications, preferably with an emphasis on technology sectors. Knowledge and experience of defense contracting is desirable.
Note: Any equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience which has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities cited below may be considered.
JOB SUMMARY: Will focus on advanced manufacturing and technology business recruitment, retention, and expansion. In addition, this individual will work to foster innovation, entrepreneurship, and small business growth in the technology sector. Other duties include industry and company research, and developing strategies for growing the technology sector in the County.
- Negative drug test result from pre-employment drug screen;
- Pass extensive background check with favorable results;
- Successful candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States prior to employment.
- Targeted industry business attraction and retention
- Investigate and identify growth opportunities for business relocation and existing business expansion;
- Research and support recruitment efforts for qualified companies;
- Provide businesses general land use information and utility services information;
- Work with external organizations charged with regional marketing, business recruitment, business
retention, and business expansion efforts;
- Work with key retail districts to identify strategies that would increase their vitality;
- Foster entrepreneurship and small business growth;
- Data analysis
- Collect and organize industry specific market data and analyze economic trends;
- Provide strategic advice and information on economic development activity, trends and issues;
- Coordinate department participation on economic assumptions and forecasts;
- Outreach and communication initiatives
- Communicate the department’s initiatives and accomplishments through various means;
- Represent the organization at various economic development functions;
- Develop marketing materials based on data, strategic plans, and other initiatives and documents
- Foster a business and development friendly environment
- Help identify processes and regulations that hinder business establishment and work towards
streamlining and simplifying;
- Help coordinate economic development initiatives with a diverse group of internal and external
- Participate in established internal teams to coordinate large-scale development projects;
- Review proposals for development opportunities and assist with multi-party negotiations for
significant economic development projects;
- Management and County Governance
- Assess performance as compared with comprehensive economic development strategic plan;
- Draft memos and reports for submittal in BoardDocs and other professional written correspondence;
- Assist Director and Deputy Director with meeting preparation and follow-up;
- Attend meetings on behalf of Director and Deputy Director and accompany them to meetings;
- Coordinate and oversee contracts with outside agencies associated with economic development;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of St. Mary’s County Government policies and procedures;
- Ability to act as a representative of St. Mary’s County Government to the public;
- Expert knowledge of department practices and procedures and of the practices, procedures, and concepts of the
- Knowledge of relevant Federal, State, and Local regulations relative to the operations of specific projects and
- Ability to effectively communicate with other staff members;
- Ability to effectively monitor staff performance;
- Ability to develop, implement, prioritize, and coordinate program-related activities;
- Ability to use available resources to research information;
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records;
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and software.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Work requires light physical effort in the handling of light materials or boxes and tools or equipment in non-strenuous work positions up to 30 pounds and/or continual standing or walking of 60%/+ of the time.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts, which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, meetings and training rooms.
Hiring Salary: $54,122 - $56,867 (B.O.E.) annually.
St. Mary’s County Government offers a complete benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and long-term disability. We offer a 457 deferred compensation plan, employee assistance program, and education reimbursement. All employees are required to participate in the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System (SRPS).
SELECTION PROCEDURE: Applications will be screened for those who meet job requirements and have related experience. Selected applicants will be invited for an interview. All candidates will be notified of their selection or non-selection for interview.
TO APPLY: A 2008 ST. MARY’S COUNTY GOVERNMENT APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. ALL PRIOR VERSIONS OF THE APPLICATION ARE OBSOLETE.
Applications are available at: Governmental Center, Potomac Building
Third Floor, Dept. of Human Resources
23115 Leonard Hall Drive, Leonardtown, MD
Phone: 301-475-4200 Extension: *1100 Fax: 301-475-4082
Jobs Line: 301-475-4200 Extension: *1109
Must press the * key before the extension
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please contact the Department of Human Resources (301) 475-4200, Extension: *1100
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.