Economic Development Project Manager - Southern Virginia Regional Alliance (SVRA)
The Southern Virginia Regional Alliance (SVRA) is based at the Institute for Advanced Learning and Research (IALR), in Danville, VA, and works with the city of Danville and counties of Halifax, Patrick and Pittsylvania. The SVRA promotes the region through collaborative marketing and public relations efforts to create a strong economy that benefits the citizens of the Southern Virginia Region. This position will report to the IALR/SVRA Economic Director.
The Economic Development Project Manager conducts research, categorizes and mines data on the region’s assets, conducts due diligence on prospects, suppliers and competitors, and communicates and markets assets to support economic development in the Southern Virginia Region.
Hiring Range: $55,000 - $70,000
Open Until Filled
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducts research by collecting and analyzing data for the region
- Assists with conducting research on demographics, industry sectors locality and prospect profiles
- Researches and remains up-to-date on local, regional and industry issues (i.e. industry sector or workforce information)
- Collects and analyzes data for prospects inclusive of demographics, industry sectors, preferences, needs, and suppliers in order to identify options for location and other relevant factors
- Develops methods and procedures for collecting data, such as surveys, opinion polls, & questionnaires, and/or arranges to obtain existing data
- Maintains a database of information for review and analysis
- Maintains a business registry of companies in the Southern Virginia Region, their suppliers and competitors – aiding the region in economic gardening
- Seeks and provides information to support SVRA in assisting companies to determine their ideal location in the Southern Virginia Region
- Manages marketing initiatives for the Southern Virginia Region, and aides in communicating information through various media and resources
- Promotes SVRA assets, as well as those within a designated radius, to existing and prospective industries within the SVRA footprint
- Prepares reports of research findings, illustrating data graphically and translating complex findings into a concise written format
- Develops economic profiles of the Southern Virginia Region and its localities, inclusive of demographics and econometric information
- Utilizes social media, including the SVRA website, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
- Prepares newsletters and other publications
- Gathers and benchmarks regional and local economic development materials, industry data on competitors and suppliers, and analyzes their assets, products, locations and distribution channels
- Studies and identifies sectoral opportunities for economic development
- Monitors industry statistics and follows trends in trade literature
- Forecasts and tracks marketing and sales trends, analyzing collected data and prepares briefings on their significance
- Assists with and/or manages meetings and events
- Attends networking events and staff conferences; provides management with information/proposals concerning the promotion, distribution, and design of regional assets inclusive of workforce, industry, quality of life, and site/building information inclusive of infrastructure
- May plan, market and implement meetings and events
- Evaluates methodologies
- Measures and assesses customer and employee satisfaction
- Measures the effectiveness of marketing, advertising, and communications programs and strategies
- Ensures that confidential information is protected and works with partner organizations to support their protocols for confidentiality
- Completes projects as assigned
- Performs other duties, as required, relative to this position and salary grade
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Statistics, Finance, Accounting, Business, Marketing; or comparable experience is required
- Minimum (3) three years of experience in economic development, local planning, public relations/marketing or a related field is required
- Credentials in Economic Development (e.g. American Institute of Certified Planners, Certified Economic Developer and Certified Industrial Development) preferred
- Must have a demonstrated ability to use expert analytical thinking and make use of logical procedures to solve work related issues and problems
- Must have effective time management skills with the ability to triage work load and remain flexible to meet demanding priorities
- Ability to communicate on diverse levels and maintain confidentiality are required and essential to the performance of assigned duties
- Technology skills and experience in the use of software applications (i.e. analytical or scientific software, business intelligence and data analysis software, data base user interface and query software, enterprise resource planning ERP software, Microsoft Office inclusive of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher, as well as Joomla, WordPress, Salesforce, or similar website development and maintenance tools) preferred
- Experience in utilizing social media including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Website, YouTube, LinkedIn, Constant Contact
- Advanced experience with collecting and disseminating data into briefing format
Essential Physical Requirements:
- Position requires travel and may require travel with overnight stays
- Must have excellent communication skills, verbal and written, to include the ability to effectively speak in public
- Ability to process vague or abstract verbal and written instructions
- Must be able to work in a stressful and time-sensitive environment with frequent interruptions and deadlines
- Must be able to operate a personal computer and manipulate a keyboard
- Light physical work may be required (i.e. setting up and tearing down displays and arranging meeting rooms)
Hours: IALR hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Work hours outside of normal IALR operating hours are required based on business needs.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties and skills. This job description does not restrict management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Resume, cover letter, and IALR application (download application recommended) are required for consideration. Interested applicants may submit their information by email or mail to the contact information listed below. Open until filled.
Institute for Advanced Learning & Research
IALR is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of age, color, sex, disability, national origin, race, religion, or veteran status.
Any person having difficulty reading the information necessary to apply for IALR’s posted position(s) should contact IALR’s Human Resources Department at 434-766-6700, ext. 6747.
The Institute for Advanced Learning & Research is a drug free workplace.
The Institute for Advanced Learning & Research verifies the identity of all new hires using e-Verify.