Director of Business and Workforce Investment - Washington, DC
Director of Business and Workforce Investment
The Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) is an economic development agency of the federal government and 13 state governments focusing on 420 counties across the Appalachian Region. ARC’s mission is to innovate, partner, and invest to build community capacity and strengthen economic growth in Appalachia to help the Region achieve socioeconomic parity with the nation. www.arc.gov
The director is responsible for providing strategic direction, operational management and personnel leadership to the Business and Workforce Investment (BWI) grants management team, focusing on areas such as workforce development, health, education, and business. The Director of BWI, along with his or her counterpart, the Director of Division of Critical Infrastructure (DCI), works collaboratively to plan, develop, execute and evaluate regional economic development strategies aligned with ARC’s priorities and strategic plan. These teams are responsible for program grants management for regional community development including coordination with State ARC Offices, the Office of the Federal Co-Chair, other federal agencies, and grantees. This position reports to the Executive Director and manages a team of administrative and professional positions.
- Relevant experience in economic & community development, including federal grants management
- Experience working effectively with matrix & cross-functional teams in both private & public sectors
- Skill in addressing dynamic, complex and diverse demands and available resources in response to changing needs of the Region and its communities; demonstrated ability to exercise sound professional judgment in recommending solutions, initiatives, or funding opportunities
- Core competencies: accountability, adaptability, collaboration, communication, critical analysis, leadership
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment and bring an energetic and innovative approach to his or her work
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Successful completion (prior to hire) and maintenance of background security review
- Ability to travel (up to 25%)
ARC offers a collaborative work environment, a convenient location near Dupont Circle, and a competitive benefits package which includes health insurance, 401(k), paid time off, commuting subsidy, professional development, etc. This is not a federal position; however, if a federal employee is selected for this position and transfers without a break in service of more than three calendar days, he or she may be able to continue his or her retirement and life/health insurance benefits. ARC generally follows the General Schedule Salary Table of the Federal government. ARC’s grades denoted by “NF” are equivalent to the GS chart.
Apply: Click here to apply
ARC is an equal employment opportunity employer and endeavors to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified applicants with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of ARC’s business. If an applicant believes he or she requires such assistance to complete the application or to participate in an interview, he or she should contact Allison Thiriez. If an applicant has any questions or concerns, he or she should reach out to Allison Thiriez at 202.884.7712 or at firstname.lastname@example.org