Assistant to the City Manager/ Economic Development Director - University City, Missouri
University City, Missouri
Assistant to the City Manager/Economic Development Director, University City, MO (pop. 35,172). A beautiful and historic inner-ring suburb of St. Louis adjacent to the renowned Washington University in St. Louis, University City is a unique urban community with a strong mix of cultural, ethnic, social and economic diversity. Incorporated in 1906, University City was established with a vision of being a city of culture and fine homes.
Proud of its historic sites as well as its solid and varied residential neighborhoods, today “U City” is a family-friendly, engaged community where residents enjoy the community’s suburban and pedestrian-friendly atmosphere. In University City, citizens boast availability to urban-style services and easy accessibility to the Greater St. Louis’s recreational and cultural activities.
The Assistant to the City Manager/Economic Development Director position is newly created and considered key to advancing the City Council’s and City Manager’s strategic initiatives in this area. The position offers the ideal candidate the chance to build and deliver an economic development program in a dynamic and diverse community, as well as the opportunity to develop and execute City marketing and promotion strategies.
The City seeks candidates with initiative, creativity and a proven
Ideal candidates will have:
- High energy, enthusiasm
- Strong communication skills, the ability to think and act strategically, and the talent to tactfully negotiate and “close the deal.”
- A demonstrated ability to develop a broad network of contacts throughout the nation, and the skill to work with a wide variety of engaged stakeholders including City officials and staff, brokers, developers, and local business owners;
- A Bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, real estate, economics, planning, economic development or related disciplines;
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in strategic economic development, redevelopment, workforce development programming, and marketing or real estate is required;
- Supervisory experience and strong budget and financial background and capacity; and
- A Master’s degree and/or certification as an economic developer through the International Economic Development Council and public/municipal experience are ideal.
The position will report to the City
Salary range: $85,000 - $108,000 +/- DOQ, plus an excellent benefit package. Candidates should apply by October 15,