Shenandoah Valley Partnership (VA)
The Shenandoah Valley Partnership (SVP) is seeking an energetic individual to become the Executive Director of the SVP. As Executive Director of the non-profit Shenandoah Valley Partnership serving seven counties and five cities in the central Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, the successful candidate will lead efforts to expand and relocate businesses to this vibrant economic region with a population of approximately 357,000 inhabitants. The successful candidate will possess the unique ability to work with an energized public-private Board of Directors. The Executive Director serves as the Chief Executive of the Partnership with the direction of the Board Chair and its Executive Committee, but is employed through James Madison University. This is a grant funded position and is contingent upon continued funding.
The Executive Director should have the strongest possible combination of the following skills:
1. Economic Development: The Executive Director is expected to have a strong background in economic development with experience in the following areas: recruitment, expansion and retention of businesses in Virginia; experience in working with developers and investors in a rural or urban setting; experience in development, implementation and execution of a master plan; ability to assist those seeking to make an investment in the region; ability to develop and maintain an inventory of sites with buildings in the region and experience with obtaining state funds.
2. Communications: The Executive Director role requires timely and professional interaction with many constituents, property owners, business owners, the general public, government and quasi-government services and local colleges and universities. The ability to advocate for businesses with various audiences is critical.
3. Marketing and Public Relations: The Executive Director is expected to understand the use of marketing through online and digital strategy, print and collateral advertising, public relations and promotions. These skills should be used to market the region, to support existing and prospective businesses and to clearly communicate SVP and member local government initiatives.
4. Finance: The successful candidate should possess financial experience in three areas: budgeting, reporting and financing. The Executive Director will employ sound fiscal management policies and practices; provide monthly updates to the Board of Directors on SVP's financial position including presenting a financial report; preparing the annual budget with the board; presenting proposals and making recommendations for Board consideration and continuously monitoring all expenses and disbursements comparative to annually budgeted amounts.
5. Organizational Management: The successful candidate should have experience in office management and will be responsible for the efficient operations of the SVP office. This includes preparation of all reports as required by governmental agencies; develop and maintain systems to track the progress of the organization; hire, train and supervise all employees as directed by the Board; supervise all contractors and professional consultants and communicate their performance to the Board. With SVP staff, schedule and arrange all SVP meetings, record and maintain minutes, prepare agendas, meet open record requirements and facilitate special presentations.
6. Investor Relations: Meet regularly with members across the region to understand opportunities and challenges, in order for SVP to better serve the membership. Identify, recruit and maintain investors and sponsors for the organization. Work closely with investors to assure their continued realization of benefit from SVP. Promote the mission of SVP in key venues throughout the region to encourage awareness of economic development and the SVP programs and initiatives.
7. Education: Direct and implement an agenda which will ensure the SVP membership has access to the best and latest information and resources on economic development practices, including professional development for the full-time economic developers and educational opportunities for volunteers and elected officials as the budget allows.
8. Resource Development: Develop and maintain recruitment tools, including but not limited to local, state and federal legislative efforts. Work in conjunction with local, regional and national organizations to develop and identify tools and resources that will provide an advantage for the economic development efforts in the region.
1. Minimum educational requirements include a bachelor's degree in business or public administration or related field or commensurate with experience.
2. Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible managerial and leadership experience in a management capacity with a comparably sized and progressive local government or regional economic development organization preferred.
3. Experience providing a wide range of economic development, recruitment, program development, coordination and implementation is highly desirable with additional experience in interaction with a variety of public agencies, private sector partners and prospective business and interpreting and communicating complex issues to groups with varying interests.
4. Demonstration of past success in bringing together various groups and constituencies to foster creative and practical solutions that result in significant success in job creation and tax base expansion in a highly competitive environment.
To apply go to JobLink.jmu.edu and reference posting number 0406365. Salary range is $80,000 - $100,000. James Madison University is committed to a diverse and inclusive community and to maintaining a work and educational environment that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/xwmdj7m