Director of Economic Development
City of Portsmouth
A progressive city government is seeking an innovative, dynamic and forward thinking leader in the role of Director of Economic Development.
- Serves under the general direction of the City Manager and provides high-level managerial leadership, administrative and financial direction, as well as plans, directs and coordinates economic development for the City of Portsmouth
- Promotes economic growth through business retention and expansion opportunities, new business recruitment, new residential development and redevelopment strategies
- Promotes attributes of the area and business and industrial development through personal contacts with community leaders, management officials of existing business and industry, the real estate community, Hampton Roads region and Virginia agencies, and international corporations
- Staffs the Portsmouth Economic Development Authority and Portsmouth Port and Industrial Commission for the City Manager
- Markets the City to foster good public relations and to provide exposure to the City's development projects, new initiatives, tourism attractions and quality of life
- Prepares, presents and administers budget for the Department and oversees budget expenditures.
- Supervises a department of six employees, including two Business Development Managers, Tourism Administrator, and two administrative support personnel.
The position requires an excellent communicator, effective decision maker, strategic thinker, and the ability to effect change and provide direction in program planning, development, and implementation; Bachelor's degree in business administration, economics, public administration or a closely related field, Master's degree and Certified Economic Development Director (CEcD) certificate by the International Economic Development Council is preferred; and extensive professional experience in economic development, preferably in a municipal setting; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. A position and community profile is posted on the Cityâ€™s Economic Development Department home page: http://www.portsmouthvaed.com/
Salary Range: $103,270 - $117,500, DOQ. Closing Date: Open Until Filled. First review of applications: July 18, 2014. Submit a City of Portsmouth application and resume to: City of Portsmouth, Department of Human Resource Management, 801 Crawford Street, Portsmouth, VA 23704. www.portsmouthva.gov EOE